Module 2 Tasks - REFLECTIONS ON ICQ CHATS


Well I'm working my way through the Module 2 tasks and was finally able to do the ICQ chat task. I had been a bit worried because after reading all of the posts on the discussion board it seemed as though just about all of my fellow NET11 students had already done this task...weeks ago in some cases!

I did read a post from Joanne though in the Yahoo group list, and it turned out she hadn't done the chat either, so we arranged to chat at 8.30pm tonight. All well and good, except for one thing - I had no idea what ICQ was! So between 5.30 and 6pm tonight, and at the same time as cooking dinner for my hungry tribe, I did a bit of research into ICQ and managed to download it and then register an id. Fantastic! I now had an ICQ number! (its 395933282). While I was playing around with it I found that Renee was on line and so we had a chat. Bingo! My task was complete - I had a chat to record in my log!


Later on in the evening Joanne contacted me for our chat. I found it a very positive experience being able to chat with a fellow student, I didn't feel so alone!

I am finding ICQ easy to use....its hard for me to compare it to other chatting programs because I am pretty much a novice at this! I've had a couple of chats on Facebook chat and thats about it. I think I used Yahoo chat years ago, when we first got our computer, but the continual pop-up messages used to annoy me.

At the time of typing this I'm just having another ICQ chat with hurlyburly and Ernest. Well I'm actually having two conversations, because I can't work out how to talk to two people at once, other than having one open in each window! I can see there is still so much to learn about ICQ....

Overall, I enjoyed my chatting experience. The problem I encountered was as mentioned above, I couldn't work out how to have a 3 way conversation. Other than that, I suppose the main problem is the lag, ie you will be typing a reply to a previous question, and then the person you are 'talking' to might start typing about something else, so it can get hard to follow at times.

There are definitely benefits to chat though, especially in comparison to say emails or discussion boards. It is good being able to have a "live" chat, rather than posting a question on a board and waiting for a reply, or sending an email and awaiting replies.






  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

1 Response to "Module 2 Tasks - REFLECTIONS ON ICQ CHATS"

  1. BettyBlogBuster says:
    April 1, 2009 at 1:47 PM

    Hi Sheila,
    Ernest gets around! - I had my chat with him and Bee! Agree with you about 3-way it was a bit more difficult to follow than 2-way but I liked the 'live' element too.

Post a Comment